Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's the little things in life

Daisy sneezed today.
I smiled.
Really I did smile.
Not the reaction you'd expect perhaps.

But you see when Daisy was born a daily sneezing session was necessary to help remove the excess fluid in her chest cavity. This sneezing session involved a PICU nurse holding a suction pipe in one hand whilst squeezing a bag attached to Daisy's breathing tube in the other, a specially trained Physio doing the actual "sneezing" with thrusts to her chest (not pleasant to watch trust me!) and me comforting poor Daisy wherever there wasn't a wire or tube attached, which was pretty much everywhere!

She then had 5 monthly shots through the winter to protect her against the RSV virus. This wasn't a cheap thing for the NHS to do for her, but they rated the threat to Daisy of catching RSV (a mere bad cold or sore throat to you or I) as serious enough to warrant it. She they felt, was particularly vulnerable to some potentially nasty complications from this virus, so the precaution of jabbing her was taken. Along with just 6 other babies (if my memory serves me right) in the whole of our local hospitals catchment area.

But there she was, my chubby, happy, healthy looking child, sneezing and smiling at me. It was great!

We've come a loooong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment