Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An overdue Catch Up!


Eeep, it's been a while huh. Quite a bit to catch up on here!

Sports day first off. I was so very proud of my little big girl Katie! She saw me arrive with Daisy and gave us a very excited wave and welcoming shout! What was more impressive for Katie was that she then went and *sat down* and *sat relatively still* with her teaching home-group Despite being Very Excited!
This really is Huge for Katie!
She tried hard in all her races : the straightforward running race, the skipping race, but really put a tear of pride in my eye and a lump in my throat in her "bean-bag balanced on head" race (see above pic). She dropped it in the first metre, but calmly picked it back up and concentrated hard on finishing the race with a big grin, despite being last by, well, a Lot. This got her a well deserved cheer and applause from all the parents and teachers!
Then it was the obstacle race, which was done as a home-group team vs team race. Katie's team "won" and so she was content afterwards that she'd "won" something that afternoon and proudly told her daddy so that evening. In great and very animated detail!

Her parents evening was an interesting point in the busy end of term schedule. Her teacher - Miss Aziz - and I were definitely talking about the *same* child. Although they see none of the temper that I've been subject to recently. Phew!
A query was raised regarding her hearing however, I've been uneasy myself, in a can't put finger on quite why way, coupled with her struggles to pronounce some of her sounds. So we made a visit to her GP and she's been referred to have a hearing test to rule out (or in) any issues. I know she can "lock in" and be concentrating So hard on something that interests her sometimes that she genuinely doesn't hear what's said to her - unless you touch her to break that concentration a little. I also know she practices "selective hearing" if you're saying something she doesn't *want* to hear.
But there's still a ?? in my mind I can't shake, so off to Calderdales clinic we'll go...
I did also have to have a word with her teacher to highlight that Katie when upset will go "in" on herself as opposed to approaching a teacher for assistance. We've really struggled at getting in in the mornings and I've had a couple of unhappy incidents reported back to me by Katie along with the same morning mantra's "I'm BORED!" and "No one plays with me". I've made it Very clear to them that I Expect them to approach Katie if she's solo and to check that she's O.K. and not upset and in retreat. I know we've had time out from nursery, but I do expect some assistance to be extended her in resettling into the group. I will be monitoring closely in Sept! (She gets a "new" teacher, who is actually an old favourite, I'm hoping this is a good thing).

The final highlight of her nursery summer was this years "Beach Day". A day of fun outside in casual clothing. Sandpits, Paddling Pools, Coconut Shy's, a Puppet show and Mr Whoeverhewas (and I saw a bit of it and he had the children captivated!) entertaining them. Sadly the Blackpool Donkeys didn't make it on the day, but did turn up before the end of term! Katie was thrilled to get her two rides!

Oh and in a sneaky coup I have Katie's personal nursery "Learning Journey" Folder for the summer. Daddy couldn't be at parents evening and he did so want to see it! Grandma Wendy has also now seen it and was impressed - which was why I really hung on to it past the end of term! (Earning myself a gentle ticking off from the school, but I've promised to add in some details re our time out / summer and return it in Sept!)

Right, that's enough for this post... will just hunt for a pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment