Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Festival Fun!


It's not often you get the chance to see a legend live. So when Ed spotted "The Hop Farm Festival" line up for this summer we were quite excited! I had my doubts taking the girls to a festival, the potential noise, drunken adults, toilets, food, etc. all had me thinking twice. We went for it though, joined by Grandad and Nanny P.

It was also another day of "We Love Our Slings!". We sauntered in together, Grandad pulling a trolley with his "fishing tent" so the girls would have a place to shelter from the sun, cool box, picnic blanket etc. Ed carried Daisy in our newly acquired Bamberoo Mei Tai, I threw Katie onto my back and wrapped her into the sturdy go-anywhere Storchenwiege "Louse Leo Bio Organic Turkis"(aka "the Turquoise one"!) I think G'dad and NP were a little surprised at my "supergirl" shoulder-tossing technique, but off we went. I did somewhat regret not insisting Katie walk the trek from carpark to entrance when she decided it was hilarious to headbutt me (!!!!) but a stern warning to her and she calmed down a little.

Once in we pitched the tent at the back in front of the main stage, Turkis became the inside blanket, picnic blanket outside, collapsable chairs either side. And Relax. It was quite a gentle festival. The queues for the beer-tents were VERY LONG (not that I stood in any of them!). The queue for the ice-cream van (and given it was a Scorching Hot Day I'm still stunned there was just ONE!!) longer. Ed was a true hero and braved both - the ice-cream one with Katie too!

Toilets were the best I've seen at a festival, not that that's saying much, but there was even a baby-change option! We still opted for under-cover of our tent for D's changes though. Food was hideous. We were most glad we took our own picnic!

Katie enjoyed the whirlitzers with Ed and I in turn whilst Daisy watched from the Bamberoo and giggled at us spinning about. She also gained a flower-head-dress, very 60's stylee. Ed set off with her and found the stall selling them. Katie rejected the first one "Well it's ok, but I really wanted one a bit prettier please!" but was happy with option no4.

I didn't catch the name of the first band that was on, but the singer had a good voice.
Pete Docherty wasn't particularly impressive, but gave it a good go.
Seasick Steve isn't really my Thang, but Ed headed up to the front and enjoyed himself!
Mumford and Sons stole the day for me. G'dad and I headed up to within 50 metres of the stage. They were Fab! Better live than on their cd. True musicians. Looking forward to hearing more of them in the future now!
Pete Townsend (of The Who) was next up. Lola was in the set he played, Katie and I bopped about a bit and generally enjoyed it.
Lastly, was Dylan. Having grown up listening to him, but not having bought anything "new" his set was a little disapointing. He'd decided he wasn't going to play for the me's in the crowd. He dressed so that it was hard to tell which of the band on stage was Dylan. Most of the set was his more recent songs (so not ones I knew). And yes, he still sounds like he's got a bad cold lol! Yet I'm still glad I can say I saw him perform live. Katie enjoyed herself, despite it now being very late in the evening. And Daisy? Well she was snuggled up in the wrap, asleep, ear defenders on!

During the set some kind teens gave Katie two of those neon glowy sticks free after Ed approached them to ask which stall they'd gotten them from.

Afterwards, we packed back up, Ed popped Katie onto his back (first back carry ever for him!) in the Bamberoo and we worked our way out and through the crush at the entry gate. I'm VERY Glad Katie was safely in a sling attached to one of us during that part and not on her feet! Also Very glad Daisy was snuggled up asleep on me and not in a buggy at "cigarette holding" height! UGH!!

All in all, a great day and a happy memory.

1 comment: